Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chapter 33- Swami makes a dead man alive

Sivakotayya used to consider Swami as a fake godman. He had no significant respect for swami considering him as just a common man like everyone. He also had a notion that whatever his daughter Govindamma told about the Swami was all rubbish and absurd. He got filled with such an extreme repulsion for Swami that mere the word ‘Swami’ would pierce like a thorn in his ears.

Meanwhile, a man by name ‘Reddy’ who belonged to the same ‘Pedda Komarla’ village who had been suffering from illness for the past six months and was bed ridden, expired suddenly that day. His relatives made arrangements for his final rites. He was taken to a Smashaana (grave yard) which was near a temple where Swami was staying.

Swami approached them and asked with his sweet smile on his face, “Hey people! What is more astonishing on this earth that seeing people carrying an alive man to grave yard for last ceremony?”

To his question those villagers answered, “Gentleman! What would we benefit out of cremating a live man? We are in deep grief for having lost our relative. He was suffering from illness from the past 6 months and today he left all us alone. In such a situation is it justified on your part to crack jokes of this?”

Then swami replied, “My dear children! I’m speaking truth. You aren’t able to understand though”. Then entire crowd surrounded and started murmuring, “What’s this? How can a dead man become alive?”

Swami said, “Children! Whatever words I spoke, are they painful to you? When food is in front of you; you have to eat it rather than imagining its taste. In another half an hour I would show you the truth, thereafter do whatever you think is correct”.

Having spoken thus, Swami asked them to put down the dead body and un- rope it. Among the crowd there was one clever man who logically considered giving Swami a chance to prove his statement. He ordered his fellow men saying, “let’s untie this dead body as the Swami says, there is no harm in listening to his point for a second”.

They untied the dead body. Swami approached the deceased with a sweet smile on his face, and using his Amruta hastam (his divine hand) gently touched him from his forehead to his feet. Alas! To everyone’s surprise he sat as if woken up from a deep sleep.

Reddy asked his relatives, “What is all this? Why am I in this form as if I’m going to the cremation ground?” All the bystanders felt very happy to see such a miracle and prayed to Swami in unison praising his divinity.

Swami said, “Children! This person has a fortune of living for few more years. He is destined to bear a son and enjoy some more years of age. Take this sacred ash (Vibhooti) with you. Now don’t waste time and happily return back to your homes”.

Swami then returned back to the Shiva Temple where he was staying for all these days. This news spread like fire and many villagers started coming to Swami and learnt many philosophies of Advaita (Non-Dualism) from him. Out of such all devotees, one was ‘Brahmayya’ who was the temple priest of that Shiva temple.

Brahmayya approached swami with devotion and asked, “Swami! For us humans which one is superior out of Dhyanam and Brahmagyanam?”

To his question Swami replied,”Son, listen! Nobody can know about me easily. But the one, who knows me, becomes my dear ones. I would treat them more than my life and would always protect them. The one who sees everything equally, for such a person whether he searches for me within himself by becoming ‘Antarmukhi’ and realizes my Nirguna (formless) form or he looks out for me as ‘Bahyamukhi’ for my Saguna form (having form). In both the cases I bestow him infinite amount of bliss equally; whether through form or formless attributes. Even if a person, who is not a Gyani and can’t visualize me within his inner self; even if such a person attaches himself to me with love, I get easily pleased and can bestow all the kingdoms to him. Those who believe me, I would never stay away from them. I always remain nearby to them who have faith in me.” Swami continued,

  • Those who follow path of devotion (Bhakti), I would protect them as like as a mother protects her children
  • Those who follow the path of renunciation and yoga, I test them in various ways and treat them as my friend (Sneha Bhavam)
  • Those who follow the path of Knowledge (gyana margam), I consider them equal to me
  • People who follow Bhakti are like children to me and people who path of knowledge (Gyana) are like old men. In both the cases only children and old men remain free of ‘ego’. On the other hand people, who follow the path of Renunciation, and Hatha-Yoga, usually suffer from a slight “I” feeling in them. That’s why I test such people rigorously
“Devotees (Bhakts) always remain with a mindset thinking that the Satchidananda Swaroopa Lord is always there with them, and they remain free of ego since they remain immersed in my Bhakti and do Parayana of my stories regularly. Gyanis consider all moments of happiness and sorrow equally and remain undeterred in any circumstances. They remain silent and for them nothing creates disturbance in their mind.”

“For Bhakts (devotees) important thing is ‘Love’. For Siddhas it is Renunciation. For Muktas, silence carries higher importance”.

“A Devotion without love, a Yoga without Renunciation and a Knowledge without Silence; is useless".

"To leave the path of dharma, to have a feeling of ‘I’ (ego) and to have a feeling of ‘Mine’ (attachment) is all ill-fated”.

“Hence, out of the three paths viz. ‘Karma, Bhakti, and Gyana’ whatever interests a devotee, he/she can follow the same with all their faith and belief”.

“Dear children! Make sure that you all take care and hold firmly the reins of the mind which runs faster than the wind, and make it not to wander. That’s it for today. I’ll tell you many other things later. Whatever miracle happened today, there is something greater going to happen tomorrow. You all would witness that tomorrow”.

Having heard such a divine discourse from Swami, everyone saluted him and left for their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment